The Gripman investment Philosophy
At Gripman, we provide our clients with investment strategies that focus on value, stability and growth. We believe this approach provides good returns with appropriate risk, minimizes the potential for capital loss, and ensures financial security for our individual and institutional investors.
Gripman seeks value in its equity investments by targeting securities that we believe are trading cheaply compared with their ‘intrinsic value.’ Using our own proprietary cash flow analysis models, we determine an intrinsic value for equity investments based on the strength of the firm’s balance sheet the stability of its revenues and its competitiveness within its industry and target those that are undervalued. Over time these equities rise to their intrinsic value while returning alpha to our clients.
Similarly, we apply our proprietary cash flow analysis models to determine an internal credit rating for bond investments. Building a portfolio of value-focused bonds allows us to return additional yield.
Gripman delivers stable returns by building portfolios consisting of assets that naturally hedge the overall volatility of their entire portfolio. For example, our multi-asset balanced strategy builds a portfolio heavily-weighted towards equities and higher quality bonds. Our higher quality bond holdings provide a hedge against our equity positions as the performance of these assets tends to offset each other during cyclical economic downturns. It is this mix of asset classes in our multi-asset balanced strategy that allows us to deliver stable returns. Similarly, our enhanced cash strategy consists of bond investments which we have scrutinized for company liquidity. By only purchasing bond investments that we believe will be fully paid at maturity, regardless of economic conditions, we deliver more stable returns.
Gripman is focused on performance. We invest in quality companies that we believe will deliver successful growth over the long-term. Rather than trying to time the market, we invest with the strategy of buy and hold when we select equity investments. For fixed income investments, we propel growth by looking for risk/reward opportunities in individual bonds where we can harvest additional yield upon maturity or buyback. Consistently reinvesting these returns compounds growth over time. Gripman consistently strives to achieve superior performance regardless of the investment vehicle.
Meet Our Team
Chief Investment Officer/Co-Founder
Tim is a founding partner and the Chief Executive Officer and Portfolio Manager for Gripman Investment Advisors.
- 20+ year track record in asset management
- Portfolio manager for Gripman’s equity and fixed income portfolios
- Architect of Gripman’s quantitative investment framework
- Well-versed in all credit sectors (industrial, utility, financial, structured, high grade, high yield and distressed investments) from his work prior to Gripman. Tim worked at J.P. Morgan for one of their largest and most successful flagship funds for 10 years as well as at insurance asset manager Conseco
- Began his career in commodities trading at Midwestern Energy Trading ACES Power Marketing
- FINRA Series 6,65
- MBA in Finance, Indiana University
- BS, Purdue University
Co-Founder, COO & Compliance Officer
Brian is a founding partner and the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Compliance Officer for Gripman Investment Advisors.
- Oversees all back office, compliance, accounting and operations for Gripman
- 25 year veteran of J.P. Morgan
- Key roles during his career at J.P. Morgan include:
- Chief Financial Officer for Banc One Financial Card Services
- Global Planning and Analysis Manager for J.P. Morgan Asset Management’s Global Investment Management Technology and Operations
- Business Management and Reporting Manager for J.P. Morgan’s Global Financial Crimes Corporate Compliance Anti-Money Laundering /Investigations division
- FINRA Series 6, 26 and 63
- MBA in Finance, Indiana University
- BS, Ohio State University
Chief Marketing Officer
Kelly is the newest member of the Gripman team, and Chief Marketing Officer
- Oversees Gripman’s marketing efforts and business development
- 15+ years of Marketing and Marketing Research experience
- MBA, Franklin University
- BS in Economics, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, concentrations in Accounting and Marketing